How long does it take to compile a Council Record?

The average time is two to six months. To complete the process as quickly as possible, stay in contact with your references to ensure they are mailing the necessary information to the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). Call the Council Records Department at (202) 879-0510 if you have a question or simply to check on the progress of your file. Once NCARB receives your application, it takes about four weeks for NCARB to process it and send you the information packet to verify your employment history.

I canít contact one of my references. What should I do?

Send the Council Records Department a letter explaining the situation to see if the reference can be deleted from your record. If your reference happens to be an NCARB Certificate holder, NCARB may be able to contact the reference for you. Note: As a matter of policy, NCARB will not give out the addresses and phone numbers of Certificate holders.

My reference forms have been mailed to NCARB several times. How come you donít have them yet?

NCARBís staff is meticulous about cataloging all references as soon as NCARB receives them, so itís likely NCARB never received the forms. One solution is to ask your references to send all documents by certified mail, which requires a signature of receipt from NCARB and leaves no doubt as to whether they were received.

Why havenít you received my registration and exam history information from my state board yet?

Some state registration boards require you to pay a fee before they release that information. Those states are Alaska, the District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont and Virginia. If you are registered in one of these states you must contact the board and pay the required fee.

Why is it taking so long for my references to be placed in my file? Iím sure NCARB has received them?

It can take one to two weeks to enter the data electronically into your file. NCARBís Council Records Department always works as quickly as possible to record all information into your file.