• Information

New Handbook Available

The new Handbook for New Mexico Building Officials is now available in PDF format. The Handbook is the product of the Joint Practice Committee, which consists of the NM Board of Examiners for Architects, the NM Board of Licensure for Professional Engineers and Professional Surveyors, and the NM Board of Landscape Architects. NMBEA extends its thanks to the NM Board of Licensure for Professional Engineers and Professional Surveyors and its Executive Director, Elena Garcia, for their efforts in taking this project to print. To view the Handbook please click on the link below.

Download New Handbook Available

Options for Licensure

The Board is often asked about the options a potential registrant can pursue to obtain licensure. The first two options listed below are the primary methods and they are followed by two options available through the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB).

Primary Methods

1. After an individual who is an applicant with the Board completes the required education, internship, and all sections of the Architect Registration Examination (ARE) they are eligible for licensure in New Mexico. These individuals must have submitted a copy of their NCARB IDP file to the Board.
2. A registrant in another US or Canadian jurisdiction may apply for reciprocal registration in New Mexico. To do so, the individual must have an NCARB certificate and apply through NCARB. The Board reviews all NCARB certificate holder files before granting licensure.

Alternatives Available Through NCARB

1. The Broadly Experienced Architect (BEA) option is for individuals who cannot meet the requirements for obtaining an NCARB certificate, but who have met other criteria established by NCARB. This option requires one to apply directly to NCARB and to submit all necessary documentation to NCARBíS BEA Committee for review. Please go to for more information.
2. The Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect (BEFA) option is similar to the BEA option and requires one to apply to the same NCARB committee.

Both of the alternative options require thorough documentation of education, experience and understanding of the practice. Applicants are advised to research these options before applying to determine applicability, as they require a great deal of time and expense.

Continuing Education Report Forms

If you want to obtain a continuing education form for the current cycle (2006-2007), go to the Forms section.

Tip for Using the Consumer's Guide

Under Consumers there is the Consumer's Guide to Hiring an Architect. After clicking on the Consumer's Guide you will need to select specific topics listed under that heading on the left to access them.